This afternoon I met with my dietitian, Marcie, and the other lower Rio Grande Valley contestant, Jaque Ary, for our Pantry Makeover Tour. The H-E-B Plus on Paredes Line Road in Brownsville was amazing! I want to send out a great big ‘thank you’ to the employees who took the time to welcome us and for all of your hospitality during our tour. We had such a memorable experience. Marcie pointed out a few things that I bought and can’t wait to try.
- Acorn squash-the darn thing has directions on how to cook it on a sticker slapped on it. How easy is that?
- Central Market Power greens mix- kale, spinach, and chard. A great set of greens to throw on a sandwich or to mix in with a salad.
- Honeycrisp apples- I never thought I would buy any other apple but the Gala variety, but I have changed my mind. This apple is worth the extra money.
- H-E-B Creamy Creations No Sugar Added Fruit Bars (strawberry)- for my sweet tooth, and with only 40 calories a bar.
- H-E-B Multigrain Baked Pita Chips- high fiber, low sodium, and something salty to eat with dips.
- H-E-B Bake Shop Thin Rounds 100% Whole Wheat-100 calories, 5g protein and 5g of fiber. Great for breakfast and lunch sandwiches.
- H-E-B Deli meat- look for the labels that say Fit, and those meats will have lower sodium and fat.
- And last, but not least… salad dressing. Read below.
Our last night at Fit Camp was spent at a certain nationwide chain, Italian restaurant. We learned how to order more intelligently off of a restaurant menu, and had a great experience eating out. My favorite part of the meal was their salad, but more specifically their dressing. Today, Marcie pointed out that their dressing has been bottled and is for sale to the general public at our local H-E-B. You know I bought three bottles. One for work. Two for home. Hooray! With this new development, I can say that I will be out of my salad slump.
As for our tour as a whole, I learned a ton. The specific things I wanted to address were: ideas for getting more diverse greens into my meals and more thoughts on snack foods. The acorn squash and Power mix will answer my first need. Honeycrisp apples and the pita chips will help me mix up my snack routine.